Monday, January 26, 2009

"Martha" side of me ~ 100% Whole Wheat bread (bread machine)

A friend asked for my 100% whole wheat (bread machine) recipe, so since I've already shared my Easy French bread recipe HERE, I decided to share this recipe on my blog, too!

Just so you'll know, my bread machine pan has an eleven cup maximum capacity (based on how many cups of water the pan will hold). So I make the 'extra large' loaf.

%100 Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/3 c. water
2 Tbsp. butter (my recipe recommends that each Tbsp. of butter be cut into small chunks)
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. molasses
4 c. whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. dry milk
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. gluten
1 1/2 tsp. fast rise yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp. active dry)

The trick to making %100 whole wheat bread is extra kneading time, which gives the yeast and gluten time to create a lighter loaf. Many manufacturers produce home bakeries with a special whole wheat cycle for this purpose. This recipe can be made with the whole wheat, white, or the delay bake cycle.

No comments: