Tuesday, December 09, 2008

John Milton's 400th Birthday


Several blog posts today have brought to my attention that today is John Milton's 400th birthday! For your reading pleasure, I've provided those blog posts below.

Anytime I hear of or think of John Milton I'm reminded of my senior year in public high school (in the late 70's) when I--VERY much by default--found myself in a semester-long class on John Milton's "Paradise Lost" (!!!!!!).

I was not exactly what you would call an 'avid reader' in those days, as a matter of fact, it would be a huge stretch to even call me a 'reader'. I'm not proud of it, but it is reflective of my priorities and my thinking in those days--the Cindy Lauper song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" sums it up pretty nicely. Sigh...

Anyway, I recall being very puzzled and even shocked that we were reading a book about "God", and "Satan", and "angels". (Side Note: By this time in public schools--even in the 'buckle of the Bible belt'--prayer had been satisfactorily removed from the schools, except during sports events when we'd confidently pray that God would help us beat our opponent.) The thought of Satan and other beings 'falling' from heaven was a very new and strange thought to me. It wasn't until much later in college (after the Lord saved me and I began to think on such things) when I realized that much of Milton's "Paradise Lost" found it's 'inspiration' within Scripture. Sigh, I regret that I missed and/or frittered away so much in my youth.

For a long time now as a Believing adult I've wanted to reread "Paradise Lost". I think I just might put it on my winter reading list--and perhaps redeem some "Understanding Lost" in my youth. :-)

Between Two Worlds ~ An Interview with Leland Ryken about Milton's Paradise Lost

Ligonier Ministries ~ An Epic in the Making

No comments: