Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Facing my idols

One inescapable thing about pursuing Biblical Counseling training is how what I learn supposedly for the benefit of others actually 'hits' me and lays me low FIRST. Of course, that's by God's design, but it always seems to catch me off guard!

Consider James 4:1-3,
What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. And you are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

I'm finding this especially applicable to myself in my relationships with my daughters. Is what I want for them what God wants for them? Is what I want from them what God wants from them? In many cases the answer is, 'no'--it's simply what I want.

Sigh... Looks like I'll be spending the rest of the day (week, month, lifetime) in Romans 6, 7, & 8. :-)

1 comment:

Becky Schell said...

The older they get, the tougher it gets. I think God should have made kids so we get to keep 'em near and run their lives always.

No, that is not true. I want them to be responsible adults. There is just this mommy side of me that is mourning the change of that roll.

Scripture has a way of straightening out our thoughts and feelings. True? Of course true.