Thursday, June 19, 2008

The "Martha" side of me: favorite brownies from scratch

Here's a recipe I promised in THIS POST.

I've been using this brownie recipe exclusively since our 'seminary days', it's from our 1988 Dallas Theological Seminary Cookbook. The Seminary wife who submitted this recipe also was a very talented calligraphy artist whom I hired to write out the song my husband wrote for me for our wedding--a total surprise to me during our wedding ceremony. Hmmmm, I think I just might post the lyrics to that sometime soon.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this recipe, it's not only an easy and delicious recipe for me, it's a really easy recipe for kids--our Nina has become quite accomplished at it!

Favorite Brownies

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring (I prefer to use extract)
2 eggs
1/3 c. dry cocoa
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 c. chocolate chips (or try white choc. chips, or Nina's personal creation and favorite-- miniature M & M's!)

In saucepan, melt butter.

Add sugar, vanilla, cocoa, and eggs; mix well.

Add flour, stir until just blended--don't over stir.

Pour in a greased 8 x 8 pan, sprinkle nuts and/or chips on top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments: