Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The sovereignty of Satan

If you're a regular reader here, the title of this post most likely caused you to say, "What???!!" (at least I hope it did)! I'll admit, I want the title to "grab" you--it certainly grabbed me when I read it over at Pulpit Magazine just a few minutes ago.

Because I'm a former charismatic, I knew instantly what they were talking about because I lived it for a number of years.

During those years, I was taught (and believed) that Satan reigned supreme and it was my job to "show him who was boss"--that being me, not God. It was a life filled with uncertainty, would Satan "trick" me into marrying the wrong man (see my post HERE), would Satan cause me to misuse my money and not be able to pay my rent, would Satan make me sick so that I couldn't go to church, would Satan control my family or friends and cause me emotional pain, the list went on, and on, and on. Looking back now, many of those times are even comical, like the time my roommate and I "rebuked" Satan from her plastic Mickie Mouse bank!! That's a story for another day--when I'm feeling very unconditionally loved and accepted by fellow-bloggers and blog readers!

I cannot begin to tell you how freeing it was when by God's grace I began to understand God's true nature and character found in His Word! I no longer had to be "on the look out" for Satan and what He would throw at me next. Instead, God gave me a confidence that He in fact was in control--just as His Word says.

Even if you don't consider yourself to be "charismatic", I want to urge you to read THIS article. Believe it nor not, there are non-charismatics who act and talk as if they believe that Satan is "sovereign"--nothing could be farther from the truth of Scripture!

5 comments:

Lisa Hellier said...

Oh Connie, I thought this article was truly well written as well. I just referred another friend, formerly charismatic, to it also. What freedom indeed to know that bondage to death, and its minion of fear, is broken completely and eternally by the Sovereign Lord of All!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post and perspective. Thanks for the John MacArthur link. I have charismatic friends and this really helps me to understand them better. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I didn’t see you in the “Said at Southern” Facebook group. I’m not sure what they are going to do with this new group, but I joined to stay in the loop. Come join if you like. : )

Marcian said...

I have my own term for it: Voodoo Christianity. And I've seen it practiced by the people I love, too.

Thanks for being a staunch defender of theology. You have been an inspiration to take this stuff seriously. I was preaching it before I knew what I was saying, at one point, telling someone that I don't "practice" jumping over a mountain, because I don't believe I can do it. We practice what we believe. If we don't practice it, do we even believe it? I need to understand what the Bible says, what I believe, in order to really practice it.

Diane said...

"Looking back now, many of those times are even comical, like the time my roommate and I "rebuked" Satan from her plastic Mickie Mouse bank!!"

Connie, Connie, Connie........we're so much alike it's scary, roflol.

Now, I didn't rebuke Satan from a piggy bank, but I have had my moments of rebuking Satan.

I am so thankful to the Lord for bringing me out of all of that and for opening my eyes to the truths of reformed theology.

SDG

Anonymous said...

Well, I have an entire group of friends who are like this, and they're/we're not charismatic. Sometimes I wish that I wouldn't 'pick up on' the things they say about Satan's "attacks" but I always do, and it always drives me up the wall. !!

The tiniest little 'inconvenience' or seemingly "bad" thing that occurs, is always an attack from satan.

To me, it's really sad to know that so many people are willing to hand over that much credit to satan.