Friday, June 22, 2007

Providence - 25 yrs. Since I First Met My Best Friend and Husband

By God's providence, it was twenty-five years ago today when I met the man who would soon win my heart and become my husband!

I can honestly say that I love him more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow! He definitely IS the "better half" of our union.

Being the sentimental fool that I am, I can remember it like it was yesterday! We met on a Wednesday evening at the church in the town where we attended college. Both of us had decided to take the "teacher's training" class so that we could teach Sunday School classes--he the college level, me the youth level. During the first class, I noticed him looking at me from across the room, although he tells this part of the story in the reverse--he noticed ME looking at him! After the training class, we all joined the Wednesday evening service a little late so everyone quietly found seats in the back of the sanctuary. As the congregation stood to sing a hymn, my future hubby, who had chosen a seat several pews in front of me, turned around and looked my way. Much to my surprise, he quietly gathered up his things and moved back to my pew--right beside me!!!

Now, I've never been shy, but I considered this to be a VERY bold move on his part. And, much later when we discussed this "move" of his he admitted that it was SO NOT like him! Ahhhh, the providence of God.

After the church service he walked me out to my car where we stood and talked for a VERY long time! We discovered that we had much in common--the most notable of which was our desire to study and understand God's Word. Now, you must keep in mind that at this time I was still a full-blown, card-carrying charismatic! So, it won't surprise you that later that evening when I was telling my roommate bout the guy I'd met I commented, "Isn't it like satan to put someone in your path to confuse you?" I said that because just 4 or 5 days before I'd been introduced to a "nice young Christian man" that my coworkers had really wanted me to meet!

I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, so please forgive me if this is a bit "rough" and full of typos--maybe I'll get to clean it up later tonight after we finish some pre-marital counseling we're doing for a Christian couple in our church who will be married next month! Aint' love grand?

2 comments:

TulipGirl said...

*mush, mush*

Connie said...

tulipgrrl: Guilty as charged! :-)