Monday, January 29, 2007

Theology 101 - Soteriology (Part 2)

Last week I posted on soteriology. Rather than move on to another topic, I'd like to go deeper into soteriology.

It seems to me that much of the confusion, and even division, over the doctrine of salvation is found in the lack of knowledge of and/or lack of understanding the various facets of soteriology. At the human level we are prone to simplistically think, "I accepted Christ, He saved me, I'm going to heaven." Consequently, many have built or will build their theology on this thinking without being challenged--personally or corporately*--to look further.

Fortunately, Scripture does challenge us to look further and consider how the following fit and/or contribute to our understanding of soterioloty:

1) election
2) calling
3) regeneration
4) repentance
5) justification
6) adoption
7) sanctification

8) glorification

By God's design EACH facet is wrapped up in our salvation, and we would be wise to apply ourselves to understanding how! So in the weeks to come, Lord willing I plan to consider each of the eight points I've listed.


* By "corporately" I mean the Body of Christ as it is represented in the local church.

Note to the more "learned readers/students" of theology: yes, I do believe that the order contributes greatly to our Biblical understanding. :-)

No comments: