Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Heart of a Mother - theology in action

Even if you're only casually familiar with scripture, you can easily see the many examples God provided of others putting their theology into practice--good (biblical) theology and bad (unbiblical) theology. But do you realize that God continues to provide us plenty of real-life examples today of people "practicing theology"--good theology and bad theology?

In the days, weeks, months, and years to come, I hope to offer posts that will help us establish, embrace, and practice "good"Biblical theology. And, as a part of that goal, I hope to post plenty of real-life examples of other Xian women practicing theology, so you will be encouraged in your walk, as well!

With that in mind, I'm posting the following excerpt from the email of a Xian friend in our church. She recently sent out an email update on the condition of her youngest child who was born with spina bifida--he had recently begun to experience unexplained excruciating pain. The email opened with her thanks to the Body of Christ in our local church for prayers, cards, meals, baby sitting, etc. She then gave us the details of the doctors' reports and the present course of treatment. Her closing words put the matter into a Biblical perspective, and caused my focus to turn from the human realm--Xians serving and ministering, doctors probing and explaining--to the One who knows every detail, ordained every detail, and is in control of every detail. He is worthy to be praised, even in the midst of our trials.

"So where does that leave us? In the best possible position . . . with tender hearts on bended knees before the all-wise God who lovingly knit our Tim's (name has been changed for this post) spine together just the way He thought it should be. And what a blessing it has been! No, I am not just saying that, I truly consider spina bifida to have been a blessing to this family. What selfishness it has exposed in my own heart! How it has demanded that I die to myself, that I take my thoughts captive rather than be steamrolled by worry. How deep the gratitude it has created for a God who would condescend to send His Son to suffer pain, I know how hard it is to watch your child hurt! (How silly that sounds, because taking the sins of the world and being crucified is so much bigger than spina bifida, but still.) And because of HIS pain, I am able to come to HIM with my worry, my sinful, selfish, lazy heart, my fear. I can come boldly before the throne of grace. Should I use this amazing opportunity to march before His throne, tell him how inconvenienced I am by my child having spina bifida, demand He heal it? No, no, NO!!!! May I use the gift that His Son's suffering provided to lay myself and my own son at His feet. May I humbly serve Him with whatever task He places in my hands. May I adore Him, love Him and praise Him, knowing He is constantly with me, giving me the strength, courage and patience to be a good mom, to raise Tim in the nurture and admonition of the Lord that I love. And I pray that one day Tim himself will come boldly before the throne of grace, not to ask for anything, just to bend his knee and worship."

There's really nothing else I need to add to this post. I pray that the words and example of this sister-in-Christ will be an encouragement to you in the trial you may be enduring by His providence, for His Glory alone (Rom. 8:28-30).

No comments: