Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm Going to be a Little Busy ~ Theology Exam for NANC Certification

Just wanted you to know that my posting is likely to become even MORE sporadic as I attempt to devote more time to completing my NANC Certification exams.

I've listed the Theology exam questions below and noted where I stand on that question--composing, editing, finialized, etc. There's also a Counseling exam that I've been picking away at, but I have by far made the most progress on the Theology exam.

I would appreciate your prayers!


Bibliology
1. The Bible is spoken of as “inspired.” What does this mean? Editing
2. What is the relationship between infallibility and authority? Editing
3. What is the Bible’s authority on theological controversies? Editing
4. Compare and contrast the Bible and its authority to general revelation and its authority. Editing
5. Many Christians today speak of continuing revelation. Relate this concept to inspiration and sufficiency of the Scripture. Relate this concept to the issue of miracles, prophecy and tongues. Composing


Theology Proper
1. State briefly the biblical basis for, and formulate the doctrine of, the Trinity. Composing
2. List and develop five attributes of God and how they relate to the believer’s life and counseling.
3. State briefly the biblical basis for, and formulate the doctrine of, God’s omniscience. Relate this doctrine to the teaching of “open theism.”


Anthropology
1. Who and what is man? Composing
2. What role does anthropology play in counseling theory and practice? Composing


Christology
1. Why did Christ die? Composing
2. He was “tempted in all things as we are” (Heb. 4:15). Discuss and relate to counseling theory and practice. Composing


Soteriology
1. “Justification by faith alone.” Discuss the meaning of this phrase. Composing 2. Sanctification is said to be past, present, and future. Discuss, including the idea of “union with Christ.” Composing
3. Do Christians persevere? What relationship does this have to counseling?


Pneumatology
1. Who or what is the Holy Spirit?
2. What role does this Spirit play in the believer’s life and the counseling process?
3. Does the Holy Spirit guide Christians? If so, what means and methods does He use?


Ecclesiology
1. What is the church?
2. What role does the church play in the believer’s life and the counseling process?
3. What is the biblical teaching on women being ordained as officers of the church?
4. What authority, if any, does the church have over individuals and the counseling process?


General Questions
1. Are you involved in a larger group, organization, or denomination, which disagrees with NANC’s Statement of Faith? If so, how do you differ from your larger group? Explain what you are doing to influence your group towards NANC’s position. Editing
2. If received as a NANC member, can you unequivocally sign the membership covenant? Editing

14 comments:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

wow! other than the specific NANC stuff, those are good questions for every Christian to contemplate.

Diane said...

I'll be praying for you Connie, I'm sure you will do well.

I would love to take the classes, but I can't afford to. I live less than two hours from the church Jay Adams attends, and one of these days I am going to drive to the bookstore there in our new car :).

Lisa Hellier said...

Oh, Connie. This makes my pulse race. It is definitely a desire of my heart to one day study for the NANC certificate. I will pray for you, and I'm going to keep this link to look at these questions again. Godspeed on your exam.

Connie said...

Thank you ALL for your encouragement--I really do appreciate it (and need it!)

kim from hiraeth: You are so right!

diane: I do wish the classes could be made more affordable--our church was able to offer them free to all who were interested. I'd love to visit that bookstore with you!

elle: I'd highly recommend you begin now 'picking away' at the exams and doing lots of NANC reading. If you check out the certification section of the NANC website they recommend books to read in prep. for the exams. You could sort of get your feet wet before you dive in!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these questions. I need to consider my answers. I'm sure it will reveal some areas I need to study. I hope you do well on your test.

The Open Range Camping Family said...

Connie, I'll be praying for you as well. The classes sound interesting. I've not heard of NANC Certification but would like to look into it!

Kim said...

That is great,Connie! I'd love to do this some day! What great questions!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely praying for you...and for all the others who are interested in the NANC certification. Our ministry has a sister counselling group that has NANC folks volunteering to teach from time-to-time. SOLID teaching! (Ever considered coming to Ukraine for a bit of teaching??!!)

Kristine said...

I will pray for you Connie!!

Anonymous said...

i've been taking the same exam... (NANC Theology and Counselor's Exam). i'll be praying for you too.

Connie said...

Thanks for your continued offers to pray--I'm enjoying the work, but finding it hard to carve out the necessary CHUNKS of time I need. :-)

Unknown said...

Hi. Di you finish the exam? I would love to see the answers to these questions. They seem like a really good study. Please share! Thanks!!!

Letters to Skeptics said...

Hi Connie. I just discovered your blog. I too am studying for NANC certification. And I too blog. Just started so I'm new to this. If you care to check it out go to paradigmsforskeptics.blogspot.com.
Other than my blog titled, "letter to atheists, skeptics...", all other blogs are from my essay answers for NANC.

anonymous said...

Connie, I just came across your blog because I'm currently working on the ACBC (formerly NANC) exams. How did it all go for you? I'd love to hear what your experience of certification was life.