Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Happy Reformation Day!

I've enjoyed history most of my life, but grew to really love it after the Lord saved me and I began to recognize and understand God's sovereign hand!

So, as the end of October draws near, I'm always reminded of God's grace and mercy to a simple monk by the name of Martin Luther and how God used him in his day and continues to use his writings in our day.

I encourage you to learn more about this very interesting and bold man of God. For starters, check out the following links.

Wikipedia has THIS to offer.

For the "home schoolers", check out Reformation Art website for some great illustrations and even some historic info.

Then, check out THIS link for a copy of Luther's 95 Theses.

I highly recommend you read THIS BOOK about Luther's wife, Katharina von Bora.

And, for a humorus look at Reformation history, check out the Reformation Polka--pay close attention to the words!

On a sidenote, a Lutheran (Missouri Synod) friend of mine recently told me that it is a common practice among Lutherans to wear red (representing the Holy Spirit and martyrs of the Xian Church) to church on Reformation Sunday (observed Oct. 31, or the Sunday prior to the 31st). I'm seriously considering doing that myself--join me, won't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ordered and read Kitty, My Rib. I love biographies and really enjoyed it! Thanks for the recommendation.

-Megan